Jefferson Regional Medical Center Unveils Expanded Operating Rooms
Cutting the ribbon on newly expanded operating rooms at Jefferson Regional Medical Center are, from left, Dr. Natalie Furlong; Bill Barrett, executive director, Facilities Planning & Management; Rob McCoy, director, Surgical Services; Dr. Chong Park, chairman, Department of Surgery; Mike Evans, vice president, Surgical Programs Development; John Echement, Board of Directors; Louise Urban, senior vice president Hospital Operations & CNO; Congressman Tim Murphy, Charles Modispacher ,chairman, Board of Directors; Matt Campion, representing Sen. John Pippy; Dr. Richard Collins Jr., Executive Vice President & CMO; State Sen. Rick Saccone; Scott Streno, project manager; Bryant Robey, WTW Architects, and John Dempster, president and CEO.
State-of-the-art expanded operating rooms that will facilitate advanced laparoscopic surgery and new surgical services at Jefferson Regional Medical Center were unveiled to employees and the community at a ribbon cutting ceremony and two open house events.
The $17.5 million project marks the culmination of years of planning by Jefferson Regional’s administration, medical staff and board of directors and is a much-anticipated addition to the clinical facilities at the Jefferson Hills campus.
Besides increasing the surgical area to 30,000 square feet and bringing the total number of operating and procedural rooms to 20, the two-story hospital addition:
- Provides modernized, spacious operating rooms for Jefferson Regional’s highly skilled team of surgeons, clinicians and support staff.
- Features modern, high-definition equipment that enhances the surgeons’ abilities to use the most up-to-date surgical techniques.
- Facilitates advanced laparoscopic surgeries, affording patients increased safety, less pain, and quicker recovery than traditional surgical approaches.
- Accommodates new and growing surgical services at Jefferson Regional, including bariatric procedures and expanded women’s services.
- Features advanced surgical equipment, including new video imaging and routing systems.
- Includes a new state-of-the-art satellite laboratory for STAT intra-operative pathology examination.
“This is an important milestone for our Medical Center,” said Charles Modispacher, chairman of Jefferson Regional Board of Directors. “We can all be very proud of our new operating rooms that will enhance the work of our surgeons, our medical staff, our employees – and the lives of our patients. Their good health will continue to be the primary concern of our caring physicians, and our patients will be the recipients of the expanded services and innovative technologies that this facility will provide close to their homes and loved ones.”
Chong Park, MD, chairman, Department of Surgery, said the newly expanded operating rooms will usher in a new era of technological advances, offering the opportunity for more advanced laparoscopic surgeries and complex cardiac procedures.
“The new ORs will greatly enhance our important new surgical services at Jefferson Regional – bariatric procedures and expanded women’s services,” Dr. Park said.
More than 10,000 surgeries are performed annually at Jefferson Regional Medical Center, from basic surgical procedures done on an outpatient basis to the most complex cardiac cases and other surgeries that require an outpatient stay.
Mike Evans, vice president, Surgical Programs Development, said the new operating rooms are expected to open later this spring.