Jefferson Regional Medical Center is Named One of America's 100 Best Hospitals for Cardiac Surgery by HealthGrades
Jefferson Regional Medical Center in Pittsburgh’s South Hills also achieves 5-star rating for treatment of stroke for 5th consecutive year
Jefferson Hills, PA - October 19, 2011
A study of quality at the nation’s more than 5,000 hospitals named Jefferson Regional Medical Center as One of America’s 100 Best Hospitals for Cardiac Surgery, according to a report released today by HealthGrades, the leading healthcare ratings company.
Jefferson Regional Medical Center also was 5-star rated for treatment of stroke for the 5th consecutive year. According to the HealthGrades report, patients treated at 5-star-rated hospitals experience a considerably lower (73 percent) risk of mortality and a 63 percent lower risk of complications compared to 1-star rated hospitals.
John Dempster, president and CEO of the 373-bed acute care community hospital located in Pittsburgh’s South Hills, said the HealthGrades awards are a tribute to the hard work and dedication of Jefferson Regional’s exemplary team of surgeons, physicians, support staff and nurses whose top priority is outstanding patient care and patient satisfaction.
“Since it opened less than 10 years ago, The Heart Institute at Jefferson Regional Medical Center has received top national and professional awards that underscore its success with complex, cardiac surgical procedures,” Dempster said.
“In today’s competitive marketplace, increasingly savvy healthcare consumers deserve and demand the best and most affordable services. Achieving the five-star rating for treatment of stroke five years in a row is a prestigious distinction reaffirming our commitment to quality and compassionate care that exceeds our patients’ expectations,” he added.
Jefferson Regional Medical Center also was recognized for the following clinical achievements:
- Recipient of the HealthGrades Cardiac Surgery Excellence Award™ for 3 Years in a Row (2010-2012)
- Ranked Among the Top 10 percent in the Nation for Cardiac Surgery for 3 Years in a Row (2010-2012)
- Ranked Among the Top 10 in PA for Cardiac Surgery for 3 Years in a Row (2010-2012)
- Five-Star Rated for Coronary Bypass Surgery for 2 Years in a Row (2011-2012)
- Five-Star Rated for Valve Surgery for 4 Years in a Row (2009-2012)
- Five-Star Rated for Treatment of Heart Attack for 3 Years in a Row (2010-2012)
Key findings of the HealthGrades 2011 Healthcare Consumerism and Hospital Quality in America report include:
- Patients at a 5-star-rated hospital, on average, were 63% less likely to experience in-hospital complications than patients at 1-star programs, and had a 43% lower chance of developing an in-hospital complication than the national average.
- If all Medicare patients from 2008 through 2010 had been treated at 5-star hospitals, 240,040 lives could have potentially been saved.
About Jefferson Regional Medical Center
Jefferson Regional Medical Center is a 373-bed award-winning hospital south of Pittsburgh, Pa., where nearly 400 physicians provide patients with their expertise in more than 40 specialties. Jefferson Regional includes comprehensive emergency services, inpatient and outpatient surgical services as well as The Heart Institute, The Radiation Oncology Center, The Joint Care Center, The Women’s Diagnostic Center, The Sleep Disorder Center and Physical Therapy, in addition to Spiritual Care, comprehensive Behavioral Health Services and Palliative Care. Besides the Medical Center’s Jefferson Hills campus, several convenient outpatient centers are located in Bethel Park, Pleasant Hills, Brentwood, Clairton, Baldwin, Homestead, Squirrel Hill, Belle Vernon, Charleroi and Uniontown.
HealthGrades is America's most trusted, independent source of physician information and hospital quality outcomes. HealthGrades online properties are the nation’s leading destination for physician search and empower more than 170 million consumers annually to make informed healthcare decisions. For more information: www.healthgrades.com.